What Is The Biggest Mistake When Brushing Your Teeth?
Posts by: / no comments / Add Comment
Everybody knows how to brush their teeth right? One might think they know, but you would be surprised how many people do not. Brushing your teeth is an important part of your dental care routine. For a healthy mouth and beautiful smile, Dr. Badwalz recommends you:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time with a soft-bristled brush.
- The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach ALL areas easily.
- Replace your toothbrush/toothbrush head every three or four months. Replace even sooner if you notice the bristles are frayed out or if you have become sick.
The proper brushing technique is to:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the entire tooth! This includes the outer, inner, and chewing surface of your teeth.
- To thoroughly clean the inner portion of your front teeth, slightly tilt your brush and brush in up and downward strokes.
- Brush each quadrant for 30 seconds each; which will be a total of two minutes of brushing.
Check out this handy guide from American Dental Association on brushing your teeth Here!
Of course, brushing your teeth is only a part of a complete dental care routine. You should also make sure to:
- Clean between teeth daily with floss. Tooth decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, be careful of sugary drinks, and limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit Pearl Family Dentistry regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
If you stick to these tips and guidelines your mouth as well as you will be happy and healthy.
The dental practice of Dr. Badwalz is located at 3178 Collins Drive in Merced. He has been active in the Merced community since 2009. Make sure to visit Pearl Family Dentistry at DrBadwalz.com or you can also find us on Facebook if you’d like to join in on the conversation there. Call us today 209-383-6133 to make an appointment for your six-month check-up or to finish any treatment.